I had a nana craft week – I made a teapot cosy!
I should have added more stitches in the beginning – maybe another 6 either side – so it fits around the wider part of the pot.
That said, it did stretch when I blocked it. If I make this again I might add a few increases (and then decreases) like darts on a skirt!
For those interested in the actual numbers, I started with 43 chains across the bottom, which became 21 chains on the side pieces, then up to 53 chains by the time I added extras across the spout and handle. To decrease around the pot rim – I did 8 hdc, 2toghdc starting from centre of handle.
||Leah’s Rose Tea Cosies by Leah Maxwell
||Spotlight Marvel (grey), Yatsal (rose, green)
I have been thinking of making a fascinator out of crochet or knitted flowers, and while I was playing around with that, I made Motif 140 from Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs :
I’ve borrowed this fantastic book from the library and am going to make as many flowers in 4 weeks as I possibly can!
So I started on the Campanula flower – mainly because I had the colours that the book recommended – and it’s gorgeous!
It only took a few hours to whip up – it probably took longer to weave in all the ends of the stem leaves. I ended up with more stem leaves than the pattern has as I misread a bit of the pattern and ended up with many, many more stitches than I should have.
Amazon: 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet
I just used scrap 8ply acrylic yarn.
Update: a few people have written to me on Ravelry asking for help as the pattern is a bit confusing – for each of the sepals, I bound off after the P3 row, cut the yarn, and then wove in the ends. To move to the next sepal, I took the now unattached yarn and started knitting with it.
Use worldcat to find it in a library near you.
I’ve recently learned to crochet, but have been at a bit of a loss as to what to make – I had grand visions of amigurumi critters all over the place, but that hasn’t really worked out as yet. Although I did see this great tutorial on magic circle cast on (or the crochet version of casting on) which I plan to try out on a cute owl critter.
So I’ve decided on flowers as they make for great brooches and hairpins and generally are easier.
These flowers started from this pattern. Any of these could have a brooch pin or safety pin attached
First flower – pink and red:
Pinkish bit – this bit is basically the pattern from above:
- Single chain 6, join up with the first to form a loop
- Double chain twice into each chain, so now you have 12
- Single chain 6, then double chain to join back to loop, on the second chain (leaves a chain gap in between)
- Repeat until you have petals all the way around
- cast off/ knot off
Second, red bit:
- with a second colour double chain into one of the chain gaps
- single chain 8, then double chain into the next gap between the pink petals
- Continue until there are petals all around
- cast off / knot off
I then added a few double chains in the centre so that I would have something to attach the beads to.
Second flower – blue and purple:
Is pretty much the same as the first, only that I decided to avoid the hole in the middle by starting with a smaller loop and doing an extra round of double chain before the petals
Third and fourth flowers – red and blue:
Coming soon, but there are three rounds of petals
- single chain 6, join up with first chain to form a loop
- Double chain twice into each chain, so now have 12
- round 1 – 6 chains per petal, then attach back to main circle by every second chain
- round 2 – 8 chains per petal, then attach back to main circle by every other second chain
- round 3 – 10 chains per petal, and attach back to main circle in the chains used by round 1
- cast off / knot off
Download my pattern: flower-brooches