I once read a short essay about knitters and crocheters and how most have a disproportionate view of the level of difficulty of the work they do. They make something, that the rest of the world looks at and thinks “wow that looks really difficult” and the knitter/crocheter is dismissive and says that it’s not that hard, it’s just stitch x, or a small baby thing etc. They’re not being smug or whatever, they just really don’t see it as something difficult. Generally I’d agree with that, and it relates to anything anyone does – whether it’s computer programming, painting walls, crocheting, lawyering. It’s not hard for the person who is in the field.
Except for this baby blanket. I look at it, it doesn’t look hard. I look at the pattern, it doesn’t look hard to follow.
I then proceed to spend days trying to figure out the first 3 rows.
Finally, with the aid of this helpful tutorial, I figured it out. Then it’s easy peasy lemon squeezy from there!
||Chromium Star Blanket by Laura Lynn Hanks
||Panda cotton blend and Sullivan’s coton-a
This was the fastest blanket I’ve ever made, and the easiest. A very simple repetitive pattern that I’ve used a few times already and yet it hasn’t gotten boring – probably because it’s a mindless tv job. I used a lot less cotton than I thought I would – 3 and a bit yellow balls, and almost 2 of each of the white and grey balls.
It might be time to give the ripple pattern a bit of a break – thankfully this is the last one in the queue – I was planning to use the green and grey yarns for a grown up version, but it seems that’s no longer necessary, so I’ve saved myself quite a few months of work and some very sore fingers!
Now to decide what next… I’ve been thinking it might be time to embrace some nana crafts and make a tea cozy. I would have loved to do an Alice in Wonderland tea party theme for my wedding, but sadly I didn’t have the lead time or the spare time to make gorgeous tea cozies, wacky doilies, mad hatter fascinators, comb op shops for eclectic crockery and sugar bowls, and all sorts of cut crystal champagne flutes. Maybe something to work towards for my 40th birthday party, which is sadly only 6 years away. Plenty of lead time you might say!
||Easy Ripple Afghan by SusanB
||10 ply Wendy Fiori cotton, 5 ply Coton-A cotton
Currently the walls in our family room are forest green with rust red trim, which I only recently figured out was meant to look like wood. One day, when we’ve put the new kitchen in we will paint the open plan area that encompasses the kitchen, dining and family area – hopefully in a nice pale grey.
In a bid to influence my husband on this upcoming paint decision, I have started hooking a ripple rug for the couch. I’ve decided on no set pattern of colours, but a mix of cream, pale grey, charcoal and black (and any more greys that I can find in the next few weeks), in random order. I’m also adding a few red ripples in for contrast – it sounds odd but I think it will work.
13 ripples down, 67 to go! I estimate I need about 80 ripples, based on Attic24’s ripple rug. I’ll see how I go.
It’s finally finished and out of my life! It feels strange not having it to work on anymore 🙂
I have been slaving away at a baby rug for my friend, who is due in July, but of course I would like to give it to her at her baby shower… which actually brings the deadline up by a month! The past few months have been highly unproductive for me, mainly as I’ve been lying on the couch sick as a dog with morning/noon/night sickness. Which is exciting in it’s own right, but has left me a bit behind in the old present making task!
So I now have 43 of the 48 squares done, but haven’t done each border in white – so I’m thinking it’s time to start the craft circle at work again. This is a risky business – as previously working in IT people are very curious but accepting of people doing strange things in the tea room, but now I’m in HR… well, they seem a little snobby here, a bit too cool for school.
I am thinking with this rug I will join the squares by crocheting – as Attic24 describes it. I have previously sewn them together, but this takes forever and the corners get a bit weird.
It’s true what they say, everyone’s having babies.
And of course, as I get better at crocheting, I feel the need to up the ante in terms of baby gifts!
So now I am making another baby rug – this time for friends who aren’t going to find out the gender until the birth. So, this leaves me with a colour range of purples and greens, which when you think about it, is actually a wider range than the usual group of pinks or blues.
4 or 5 ply cotton at Lincraft and Spotlight is really quite a limited number of colours, and have yet to make it back to Yarn Barn to check out their collection for 2010. So I’ve branched out to the Bamboozle cotton/bamboo mix, and am hoping it won’t pill or fluff. I’ve also picked up a lavender DK smoothie acrylic, and again hoping it won’t fluff, but I may be pushing my luck there!
I have been bitten by the granny squares bug. So a week ago I stopped by Lincraft (which has conveniently moved into the old Spotlight at Malvern) and bought up big on nice cotton colours – I think I’ve read someone refer to similar ones as ice-cream colours, which I quite like!
So am thinking that a baby afghan should be about 8 x 6 squares – which means that I’m almost halfway through – have done 22 of 48 squares. Of course saying “halfway through” doesn’t allow for the extra row of white all over and the joining and the edging, but I’m ignoring that at the moment and crossing that bridge when I have to!